Memory Work

One of the several requirements of school and church in the 1970's and early 80's that I did not appreciate then, but sure do now, is the focus on memorization.  We did have to memorize dates and some basic lines of literature for school. But, in church, we had to memorize Scripture passages and the Small Catechism.  

I was ordained in 1994 and endured a steady resistance to memory work from both kids and parents throughout my ministry.  The lone exceptions were my first congregation, Faith Lutheran in Sagerton, Tx (1994-1999) and my brief service as interim Pastor of Emmaus Lutheran Church, South Bend, IN (September 2022-January 26, 2023).   

There were a variety of excuses ranging from there is no time to it's not that important. I discerned that the real reason for the resistance was not just human sloth but because the schools that the kids were going to no longer required memory work.  Historical dates were not even required anymore.  

So, in the June 14, 2023 edition of the Wall Street Journal, I read with interest Mark Bauerlein and David Mikics' opinion piece "Kids the Power of the Spoken Word: New Standards in Georgia and Arkansas will require Students to Recite Great Poems or Speeches." The authors explain the importance of memorization and in the debate leading up to the passage of this legislation who were the surprising resistors of this "old" form of education.  It was the teachers who railed against memorization most strongly.  The authors then give a few thoughts on why this may be. 

In the online edition, which I rarely read, there is currently 172 comments.  In the paper edition, which I happily read, the editors have kindly included a few of the comments and letters to the editor.  One of my favorite responses thus far is from one Milind M. Lele of Evanston, IL who's comment found on the 6/26/23 print edition asks a significant question:  "Why is it 'rote learning' when a student is asked to study language or math, but 'practice makes perfect' when it comes to improving at football or basketball?" 

Good question! Why do people make such a mistaken distinction between growth of the mind verses growth in athletics?  

I continue to practice memorization through foreign language study as well as memorizing scripture or small pieces of literature.  I continue this practice to keep my mind sharp. But also because there are times during the day or night when I want to think about something positive. So, why not meditate on Psalm 23 or the Beatitudes, instead of becoming captivated by... (pick your topic here).  

I know that memorization of texts or basic math facts calms me, focuses my thinking, and stirs creativity.I suspect that it does the same for you, the reader. I know that for the kids at church who will sooner than later be entering adulthood, having Scripture in their brain as they enter more fully into the world and its myriad choices, they are more likely to make Godly decisions when God's Word is firmly planted in their brains. 

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Pictures

Pentecost 3 - Deception

Pentecost 4 Sermon - The Kingdom of God and the Mustard Seed