Learning the Ancient Latin Language


I had a longer than expected period of unemployment from January 27-May 15.  About January 29, I decided that in between filling out job applications and engaging in job interviews, I would restart my interest in learning the Latin language.  I have started and stopped a few times over the last few decades, but wanted to give it another try.  I am not a natural born linguist, so this is not easy work for me.  

I remember from previous language study periods that when I study a language, that is all I am thinking about at that particular moment.  Whatever overwhelming concerns or issues I may be having on that day, quickly dissipate during the course of my study period. And, when I am done? Things seem a bit more manageable.  

Now that I am employed, I continue with my Latin language study. 

On January 23, 2023, the WSJ published a delightful little essay in their regular Friday "Houses of Worship" column on the Latin Language.  The Guiding Light of Latin Grammar by Gerard Gayou, a seminarian of the archdiocese of Washington and who is studying theology at the Pontifical North American College in Rome. 

Gayou's journey to the seminary did not begin right after college.  He begins his essay with his decision to learn Mandarin Chinese and how that eventually took him to work in China.  At some point, he was called to pursue Holy Orders.  His preparation for ordination includes studying Latin and Koine (Biblical) Greek.

He makes a number of points about the Latin Language that I too have observed in my studies.  First, is the precision and succinctness of Latin. Latin has no articles and the nouns, verbs, and adjectives all decline.  This makes a longer sentence in English into a shorter sentence in Latin.  

Another point he makes is that Latin leads to a deeper appreciation for the meanings of English words.  Some 60% of English words have their origin in Latin. Gayou says this.

Before studying Latin, I considered myself a diligent student. But Latin taught me what being diligent means.  The English adjective derives from the Latin verb 'diligo,' meaning to 'love' or 'to hold dear.' The diligent student, then, is the living student, motivated by regard for the truth, for learning, or perhaps for the professor who instructs him. Latin reminds us not only of what our words mean but also of whom we are called to be.  Diligence is a far higher - and happier - standard than good test scores or job prospects.

Indeed.  Learning for love's sake or for the sake of truth.  Not for profit or for power.  Now, that is true diligence!   

Studying Latin and Greek have taught me to pay attention to details. In Latin, it's the endings of the words that matter.  The order in the sentence means little. Greek also teaches us to pay attention to the details. Only, with Greek, one pays attention to the root, beginning, and ending of words. 

In the paragraph where he discusses the importance of discerning the correct ending of a word, he notes that it can make all the difference in the world. For example, the word for God is Deus. But, when it becomes Deum,  it still means God, but it has an entirely different function in the sentence.  If you do not know your grammar, meaning the endings and what they mean, then you will not understand properly the sentence you are translating.  Gayou uses John 1:18 to illustrate his point: If you do not know your grammar, you will mistranslate "No one has ever seen God" to something that is completely inaccurate and harmful such as "God has never seen anyone." 

I think all of us who are concerned about a proper interpretation of Holy Scripture will agree with his point here: There is no good theology without good grammar. For God sees all, loves all, and the Son of our Heavenly Father dies on the cross and rises from the dead, for all of us. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Pictures

Pentecost 3 - Deception

Pentecost 4 Sermon - The Kingdom of God and the Mustard Seed