The Canon Wars

 The Point Magazine is published three times a year in print. They have essays covering all manner of topics in between issues.  The Point is subscription based but they do allow anyone to read up to three essays per month.  

When I first learned of The Point, I was amused that the chief writers at its inception came out of the University of Chicago and were making reference to a chunk of land in Hyde Park that sticks out into Lake Michigan.  

One of my ongoing concerns is education and the need for a fixed canon. And, for the need to read whole books and think deeply about them to help form our critical thinking abilities.  I did not think about these things until after I was done with my various degrees. 

The author reflects on the issues regarding the literary canon. What I particularly liked was that he brought Roosevelt Montas' book into the essay.  He offers critical applause to the book and shows how Rescuing Socrates can be valuable. And, in the midst of our cultural sensitivities, it is particular interesting that Roosevelt is a bilingual man from the Dominican Republic. And, the writer of the essays is not a white person either.  

https://thepointmag.com/examined-life/on-the-end-of-the-canon-wars/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Pictures

Pentecost 4 Sermon - The Kingdom of God and the Mustard Seed

Pentecost 3 - Deception