2022-12-14 Evening Prayer - "Search us O God!"

 2022-12-14 Revelation 2:1-29 

In the name of the Father, +Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen. 

As I read through the lesson for Revelation I was reminded of Psalm 139. Here are the first seven verses.  

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. 3 You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. 5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. 7 Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?

Psalm 139 is very personal.  Written by King David. He confesses that God knows his most secret thoughts and actions. While he may be able to hide his conduct, attitudes and thoughts from other people, David knows that he cannot hide from God.  

David is convinced that God sees everything.  He invites the Lord’s scrutiny.  Not because he has nothing to hide, but because he wants to be clean.  He confesses the omniscience of God. He expresses his desire to know where he falls short so that he can confess, repent, and receive the Lord’s absolution. Psalm 139 concludes with “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! 24 And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”

In our lesson from Revelation we are reminded that the Lord pays attention to the communities that he creates.  Congregations, as individual members and as a group do not escape our Lord’s notice or his evaluation of us. As we contemplate and prepare for the Advent of our Lord, we need to remember this. And, we need to hear the Lord’s assessment. 

The first three chapters of Revelation are addressed to seven of the churches in Asia. They are located in the western portion of the modern country of Turkey. The lesson for today only covers four of the seven congregations. Of the seven, Jesus only has positive things to say for two of them. The other four have, to use a positive modern phrase, some growing edges. 

What would we do, if we received a letter from the Apostle John, that affirmed what we tried so hard to do yet also had this to say: “But I have this against you” or “But I have a few things against you”? I do not know how the churches responded to that letter. I know that I would want us to make sure that we hear everything that is said directly to us. 

It is a human trait to remember the negative first and longest, but the Lord does have positive things to say to all but two of the congregations. We should take note of what the Lord lifts up. 

The Lord praises the good use of the catechesis that they received from the Apostles and their appointees to distinguish between right and false doctrine and to discern between faithful and misleading teachers. The Lord recognizes the hardship, the struggle, and the suffering that comes with bearing the cross of Jesus in this world.  He praises the Christian’s endurance, faithfulness, and commitment to remain steadfast. He praises the willingness of the congregations to not tolerate or indulge in practices that are contrary to God’s Word.  Being nice does not impress the Lord. Being faithful and kind does. The Lord praises faith that is active through love and service. The Lord praises commitment and  discipleship of congregations that is exercised in terribly challenging situations.   

We need to hear those things.  Just as we need to hear what displeases the Lord.  In chapter 3, as the Lord addresses the church in Laodicea, He says, “Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.” Out of love, out of his grace and mercy, the Lord points out those “growing edges.” He desires change.  He desires a witness to the world that is not convoluted or complicated. So, the churches are given the opportunity to change. Using God’s language, we  recognize where we fall short of the God’s expectations, confess, repent, receive God’s absolution, and do better. 

What displeases the Lord in chapter two? For Ephesus, the love for God seems to have diminished somehow.  For Pergamum, they are tolerating false teaching, eating food originally sacrificed to idols, and indulging in sexual immorality. For Thyatira, they are being influenced by a false prophetess who encourages cultural accommodation regarding sexual morals and idolatry. She is herself in relationships that do not reflect God’s love and commitment to her bride, the Church.   

As difficult as these things may be to constructively discuss as a community, and to address individuals who are engaged in sinful behavior and teaching, God calls for sin to be removed through repentance.  The goal of the Christian life is to take on the mind of Christ.  Sometimes there is resistance to correction, yet, nevertheless, the Lord calls for faithfulness. 

Earlier, I asked the question, “What would we do if we received such a letter?” The truth of the matter is that we have received such a letter.  The Holy Spirit has arranged for us to have 66 documents that include history, poetry, biography, and letters, where God speaks directly to us.  The Bible, the Word of God, is God’s letter to us. The Holy Spirit works through our reading and hearing and studying to convict us of sin and lead us to repentance. And, because most of the congregations are doing praise worthy things, the Lord uses the Scriptures to lift up that which is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely and commendable, so that we can think about these things too and build on them.  

Jesus enters his passion and dies for us on a cross, so that we may have new life.  On account of Jesus’ cross, we are declared righteous by our heavenly Father. The ongoing development of the Christian church is to grow into the righteousness of God. The Lord calls us into this growth, another way of saying this is that the Lord calls us into a deeper faith so that we can be ready when he comes again.  For He has promised us, that he is coming again.  

As we wait, we use David’s prayer, “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! 24 And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”

In the name of the Father, +Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Pictures

Pentecost 3 - Deception

Pentecost 4 Sermon - The Kingdom of God and the Mustard Seed